Sunday, January 16, 2011

Jules Verne and Books 2011

I just love juvenile nonfiction. So accessible. Gets to the point quickly. Pertinent information. Quick reads.

This morning I finished the short Jules Verne: His Life (Peare). What a good little book. So encouraging to see how much reading and writing and thinking influenced this man. One passage I marked was when Verne was traveling in Italy and wanted to see the Pope. Verne and his family were Catholic, and his celebrity preceded his arrival in Rome. The pope said of Verne (and I quote directly from Peare),

"[W]hat I esteem in them (the books) most of all is
their purity, their moral and spiritual value."

This very statement is causing me to add available Jules Verne books to my classroom library and consider adding Around the World in Eighty Days to my literature list for next year. This linked edition has a helpful glossary. (All books, in my opinion, should come with maps and glossaries.)

Since I'm not someone who reads swiftly (I attribute that to not being raised as a reader), sometimes it seems like it takes me forever to get through a book. Plus the fact that I'm now working over full time, my eyelids fall often before the page turns. Nevertheless, I've made my book list which I know I cannot finish. And there will be books I'll add to it and ones I ignore. But as I've said before "If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." And as Alexander Pope said in his Essay of Man: "A mighty maze, but not without a plan."

I've stressed intentional reading for years. This year, I've made books-to-read categories quite general. Simply: biography, fiction, education. And, because our wonderful new-ish head of school encouraged us to make our year goals in August, I made my book list in August. But I'm keeping my completed-reading list by the year in the sidebar again. I plan to also list the books I read with my literature classes since I read those too. Those will repeat every year.

I encourage you to read. And read intentionally. Read broadly. Read deeply. Read to learn. Read to enjoy. Read to travel. Read to live vicariously. Read to think.

Just tolle lege!



1 comment:

Anne said...

Yes, read! I'm actually feeling a little guilty that I'm currently in a season of life that allows me more time to read than I've had in years. But when I start feeling guilty, I try to remind myself that the next season will probably not allow so much reading, so I should do as much as I can.

The more I read, the more I want to read, and the more I see how I'll never be able to read all that I want to read.

Happy Reading in 2011!