Sunday, March 27, 2011

A shrieking voice

"Everything is blooming most recklessly; if it were voices instead of colors, there would be an unbelievable shrieking into the heart of the night." ~ Rainer Maria Rilke

And everything blooming early is evidently what has caused my voice to "an unbelievable shrieking."

Choose two or three of these cartoon characters. Now, blend their voices together into one. Alternate between that cartoon character voice and "Mama Sang Bass." The result will be my voice for the past four weeks.

I hit the four week mark this past Thursday or Friday after getting what I now realize is a sinus "problem." I knew my difficulty centered in my sinuses, and my upper respiratory tract. Whatever the cause, I am ready for this to be over. I haven't coughed during the night for the past four nights, so I'm finally sleeping better.

And I've used something for the first time that I thought I'd never, ever use: a Neti pot. Not sure how to use it
exactly, I'm so glad I watched a YouTube video for directions. I still inwardly groan when I need to use it, but I must say that this is really effective in moving things out of one's sinuses.

Here's hoping that this week will be the time that my normal voice returns. This week's school agenda is packed:

  • 6th graders are finishing "Daffodils," learning another long list of homonyms, finishing a chapter on capitalization and punctuation, and studying the Battle of Agincourt.
  • 7th graders are finishing "The House by the Side of the Road" which I love more every time I read it, learn a long list of homonyms, begin a chapter on prepositions, and study the French Revolution.
  • 8th graders are also finishing "The House by the Side of the Road," learning a long list of homonyms (could there possibly be that many?), continue to study adverbs (the hardest of all parts of speech, in my opinion), and study the stock market crash and the Great Depression.
A routine week in the classroom.

Add laying groundwork to writing scope and sequence for history and English and this will be a full one!

My nighttime book that I amazingly am able to stay awake long enough to plow through is The Rector of Justin (. Another book that was not on my 2011 list. After reading about it at A Circle of Quiet, I knew it had to be on my list, yet I'm not sure how it made it to the top of the stack without ever beginning in the stack. Nevertheless, it has been interesting, but I hope I enjoy it more in its second half than I do. I've always found it interesting how a book can be so good to one reader, yet pallid to another.

So many books, so little time.

1 comment:

Carol in Oregon said...

"I've always found it interesting how a book can be so good to one reader, yet pallid to another."

Isn't that the truth?

I think we each bring our own reference points and life experience which color our perceptions. Well, duh!

But I know in my life, some books hit a nerve or excited my thoughts; ten years I pick it up and wonder why I thought this was soooo good.

I learned a great phrase from my beloved Latin teacher. Gushing about it, I gave him a book I had just completed. When he gave it back to me he said, "I didn't find it..."

I didn't find it. I have used that phrase many times.

I hope you are better by the time you read this, Janie!

PS - Curt used a Neti pot for the first time this year. DisGUSTing!