Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Taking advantage

"Taking advantage" is not always a bad thing. In this case, it's a very good thing for me.

One time-eater for me is grocery shopping. This usually happens on Friday after I've finished grading all my middle-school spelling and memory tests, plus whatever other tests in other classes falling on that day, all spelling Long, Tired Day. Often I don't even get to the store until 4:30 pm. And after getting out of the store as quickly as possible and stopping for gas, I don't get home until 6:30 and then still have to scramble together the every-Friday-night hamburgers and fries.

Accompanying shopping is the loading, unloading, and putting up. Plus, since we've always lived out in the country, we've always kept a stocked pantry. Restocking a pantry equates to lots of groceries. 

One day I was wasting some time on the computer and looked at WalMart's online shopping. Wow! This has opened up a time-saving avenue for me. If you begin to make a shopping list, you will notice that many options are available for buying, paying, picking up, or shipping.

I choose buying and paying online and having it shipped to me. Now, I'm not going to pay for shipping, so I always make sure to buy at least $45 to qualify for free shipping. This saves me time, effort, and in a sense, gas. I do not have to use my time to walk through the store, wait in line, and load items into and out of the cart or car. I can't tell you how relieved this makes me feel!

So, my pantry is being restocked with paper towels; cat food; coffee; creamer; peanut butter; personal care products like soap, shampoo, and toothpaste, etc. Your account keeps a history of what you order when, so for frequently used items, you can just click there to reorder. 

The shipping, as I said, is free for orders of $45 or more, and you know it doesn't take many groceries to reach that. Items arrive within a few days, usually via FedEx. All the transport I do is from the front porch to the pantry. It just couldn't be simpler! 

We still have to stop by the store for fresh items, but those are quick stops and easy to do. There may be other stores in your area which offer online shopping that you can take advantage of too. 

Toodles!






No comments: