Monday, January 21, 2013

Turning toward happiness (Part 4)

(Part 3 can be found here; Part 1; Part 2.)

This concludes the fourth and final part of Turning toward Happiness.

As stated before, when I came across this article, my decision seemed to be more firm. So, I'm extracting some quotes from the article with some of my annotations in italics.  

from Ten Things Happy People Do Differently 


They focus on health. Happy people take care of their mind and body and manage their stress. Focusing on your health, though, doesn't just mean exercising. Happy people actually act like happy people. They smile, are engaged, and bring an optimal level of energy and enthusiasm to what they do. Oh, how I've realized this. I've had little time for body exercise which is so obvious. If I ever do have time, I'm too exhausted. And I've realized I'm a stress eater.
They cultivate spiritual emotions. . . . [T]here is a growing body of science suggesting that religious people are happier, healthier, and recover more quickly from trauma than nonreligious people. Spiritual emotions are essential to psychological wealth and happiness because they help us connect to something larger than ourselves. As I said earlier, I've found myself not even wanting to go to church. And at the beginning of each year, I entertain the possibility of embarking on a read-through-the-Bible year only to find I have to read too many other things for school and have no time left.
They have direction. Working toward meaningful life goals is one of the most important strategies happy people utilize. Happy people have values that they care about and outcomes that are worth working for. "I spent my young adult years postponing many of the small things that I knew would make me happy ... I was fortunate enough to realize that I would never have the time unless I made the time. And then the rest of my life began."  Wow, now that's potent. Yes, I've finished raising children and not young like this person, but I've also realized that there are things I want to do before I am too old and unable to do them. One thing in particular that I miss is reading. I have so many books and really no time to read them. I also have a few other projects I would like to do and cannot because of teaching.

No comments: