Sunday, April 07, 2013

I'm reading; I'm watching; I'm listening . . .

I'm reading . . .

Of all the diversions of life, there is none so proper to fill up its empty spaces as the reading of useful and entertaining authors.
Joseph Addison
All the best stories in the world are but one story in reality -- the story of escape. It is the only thing which interest us all and at all times, how to escape. Arthur Christopher Benson
For the past few months, reading has become my refuge. Almost the only time I have to read is at bedtime, and I usually don't last long before being overtaken with sleep. Throughout the day, I long for the refuge of reading in bed. To be absorbed into the story at hand helps me put aside the difficulties of these last few months before June comes and life changes. 

So, I have enjoyed what has come my way. Ireland by Frank Delaney is right up there with some all-time favorites. If you've stopped by Seasonal Soundings in recent weeks, you have noticed lots of Ireland talk. On a whim, I got the book The Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert (Rosaria  Butterfield) after seeing Anne mention it. I surely didn't need to buy another book, but somehow, this one begged my attention. Tremendous message in this little volume. It's on my need-to-post list. Finally, I just finished the last book in a trilogy I've had spread out over several years. I read with not much more than ho-hum interest the first two and since I had the third one, my compulsiveness dictated I read it and be done with the series. Such Thy Mercies (Buckalew) was interesting. And I finished it. And that's about all I want to say. 

I've decided that since these next few weeks, until June, will be tedious, I plan to just indulge in some fiction. Stuff that I like to read when I read fiction.  These will be my comfort books for a while. To begin tonight is Ken Follett's The Third Twin. My sister says I will love it. At least it is preparing me for Follett's writing style as his Pillars of the Earth is on my big list. Following Twin are the next two Ben Coes books, The Last Refuge and Eye for Eye. Then, I plan to continue Brad Thor's Stan Harvath's series. I read his Lions of Lucerne a year or so ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. 



 

I'm watching . . . the series Call the Midwife (thanks Donna!). What a treat! And we recently watched the movie version of George Eliot's Daniel Doranda. Really good! Intermittantly, we've been watching Once Upon a Time. Interesting! Over spring break and a little beyond, we were captivated by a series you may raise your eyebrows at, but we were hooked: Breaking Bad. (Now if you connect that link, the picture on the case gives you little preview of the story. I personally cannot stand that picture because it really does not portray the story.) We have limited network television and no cable or satellite, so we Netflix everything. And the next season of Breaking Bad isn't out yet. This series has made me realize that this  very thing probably exists.



I'm listening . . . I'm not listening. Right now, the only time I listen to anything is in the car to and from work. On the way to work, I listen to the news; on the way home, I'm tired of voices, so silence reigns. I have determined, though, that since I will be home a lot, I plan to pull out my full binders of glorious music CDs, and fill the house with lovely music most of the day.


Until next time  .   .   .   . happy reading, happy watching, and happy listening!

No comments: