Tuesday, June 18, 2013

"A mighty maze"

Today has me contemplating some lines from Alexander Pope's Essay on Man which seemed to drop into my mind:

  A mighty maze! but not without a plan

Laugh were we must, be candid where we can;
But vindicate the ways of God to man.

While I rested well night and day at the beach something that has evaded me for months , I've not been able to do that upon my return home. I do still have a lot on my mind of things that needs to be done: house cleaning, sorting / listing / selling school materials, estate work and house selling, tying up lots of loose ends, finding that evasive routine I need, plus the daily activities of meal planning and cooking and household management. This transition period will be the big hump to overcome and push through.

Those things, though, do not seem to be the unresting that I have. What wakes me at o'dark-thirty since my restful vacation has been a lingering over some unresolved things from work. I do have an intention that, when completed, will hopefully allow me to climb out of that slough of despond and continue my journey. (I almost wrote "new journey" but realized that all our journeys are new; we don't precisely know the road ahead.)

So, yes, this journey sometimes seems a mighty maze. But it is not without a plan. And I know the One who designed and knows that plan. There is great comfort and solace in just that.

And, yes, I must learn to laugh more, and continue to be candid when I must. But with this journey-changing twist, I will no longer have opportunities that demand that candor. Thankfully. Embracing a task and investing yourself does demand the stress of candor. At least now, my investment in washing dirty clothes, making up a bed, and cooking a good meal are bereft of that stress.


from An Essay on Man
Alexander Pope

Awake, my St. John! leave all meaner things
To low ambition, and the pride of kings.
Let us (since life can little more supply
Than just to look about us and to die)
Expatiate free o'er all this scene of man;
A mighty maze! but not without a plan;
A wild, where weeds and flow'rs promiscuous shoot;
Or garden, tempting with forbidden fruit.
Together let us beat this ample field,
Try what the open, what the covert yield;
The latent tracts, the giddy heights explore
Of all who blindly creep, or sightless soar;
Eye Nature's walks, shoot folly as it flies,
And catch the manners living as they rise;
Laugh where we must, be candid where we can;
But vindicate the ways of God to man.

No comments: