Saturday, November 15, 2014

Winter Reading Challenge


 It's been several years since I've hosted or participated in a reading challenge. And I've decided it's time again. Reading challenges (those like this one--without rules or tasks) help me to be intentional about my reading.

In the past, I've chosen my reading along categories to help balance genres. But in the recent past years, I've been lazy about that and allowed myself to read without regard, often an imbalance of too much fiction.

Since I'm easing back into intentional reading, I've decided that my reading categories will not be strict for myself. Not yet, anyway. There will still be a heavy dose of fiction as I try to renew some goals of the past at the same time. One of these areas includes my morning reading routine of scripture reading and some spiritual classic, is still in the works. I'll add those books as I go along. My hopes are that by the spring challenge, I'll be fully back in the swing of things.

As I have for the past few years, I'm reading only books from my shelves (except audio from the library) and mostly getting "new" ones through PaperBackSwap. And I'm putting most of those I finish back on PBS. This way, I'll do some immediate shelf decluttering.

This Winter Reading Challenge will begin December 1 and continue until February 28. After a taxing autumn, I'm planning to begin with a week of indulgence in the two Karon books.

Carol at A Living Pencil:
three Shakespeare histories
Tales from a Midwife (Worth)

Jenn at Simblissity:   
readings on Advent
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (Irving)
Frankenstein (Shelley)


Tracie at Tabulations:
Prodigal God (Keller)
Advent Reflections (Bonhoeffer)
Rhett Butler's People (McCaig)
Lila (Robinson)
Somewhere Safe with Someone Good (Karon)

Janie at Seasonal Soundings:
In the Company of Others (Karon) Excited that Karon is back; I'd put a hold on reading any after Home to Holly Springs was disappointing.
Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good (Karon)

An Irish Country Christmas (Taylor) Something seasonal.


To Every Thing There Is a Season: A Cape Breton Christmas Story (MacLeod) Something seasonal and from a place we've traveled.


Gilead (Robinson) Promises of good things; I've not read any Robinson.


Stillmeadow Calendar (Taber) It's been thirty years since I've read any Taber and wintertime spells Taber.


Loving Will Shakespeare (Meyer) A juvenile historical fiction....reading my stash of juvies and moving on.

Belong to Me (Santos) A dear reader-friend pushed this one on me.
All Creatures of Great and Small (Herriot) Rereading after twenty-five years.
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Lewis) Rereading for the 7th-8th time.

The Attributes of God -- audio (Tozer) Available

Known and Unknown -- audio (Rumsfeld)
Franklin and Eleanor -- audio (Rowley)
Twelve Years a Slave -- audio (Northup) 

If you would like to join the challenge, list your books (and authors) in a comment, and I will update a post to include all the books everyone is reading.

Let the inspiration begin!

5 comments:

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I read Belong to Me recently. It is excellent!

Janie said...

Lisa, your mama was the pusher! :)

Jenn H. said...

I will be reading The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Frankenstein. A bit macabre for Advent, but they've been on my list forever and it's time to scratch them off.

Carol in Oregon said...

I am IN! I don't have my list refined yet, but let's put these one there:

3 Shakespeare histories
Tales from a Midwife (the three Call the Midwife books bound together)

Cleaning my bookcases is like defrosting the freezer: reminders of good stuff to consume.

Tracie said...

Count me in! I have Tim Keller's "Prodigal God", Bonhoeffer's Advent Reflections, and McCaig's "Rhett Butler's People" on my list.

Karon's latest is a gift and I plan to add Marilynne Robinson's "Lila" to the nightstand, too! Gilead was great--Home is even better!

Thanks for including me--and if you don't mind, I will share your Reading Challenge on my little blog, too!

Carol from Oregon--I just might have to quote you!