Friday, January 23, 2015

Good sentences, beautiful images


I do love a well-constructed sentence that leads to a beautiful image in my mind. Thus I spoke aloud as I indulged in James Herriot's All Creatures Great and Small for re-read after twenty-some years. 

Back in the 1980s, I read all of the books and have watched all of the television episodes produced by the BBC. I rarely will re-read or re-watch anything, but Herriot's books are different for me. I enjoy all over again a quietude of spirit, no matter what might be wrong with the world and me. 

Who cannot relish just these two quotes, of which, no doubt, I will add more?
Darrowby didn't get much space in the guide books but when it was mentioned it was described as a grey little town on the river Darrow with a cobbled market place and little of interest except its two ancient bridges. But when you looked at it, its setting was beautiful on the pebbly river where the houses clustered thickly and straggled unevenly along the lower slopes of Herne Fell. Everywhere in Darrowby, in the streets, through the windows of the houses you could see the Fell rearing its calm, green bulk more than two thousand feet above the huddled roofs
And, 
Many of the bottles were beautifully shaped, with heavy glass stoppers and their Latin names cut deeply into their sides; names familiar to physicians for centuries, gathering fables through the years.
Yes, James Herriot, pen name of James Alfred Wight, not only was a successful Yorkshire country vet for many years, he was able to chronicle details of his world into well-crafted stories that continue to be a joy to read.

1 comment:

alivingpencil.com said...

I think these were the first books Curt and I read aloud together; that alone is reason to love them. But the laughter, the tears, the yearning they evoked all add up to wonder. Thanks for the reminder.

Carol in Oregon