Friday, August 28, 2015

Autumn Reading Challenge 2015


We are within days of the beginning of a new seasonal reading challenge, and I'm really excited about a new stack of books -- newly pulled off my shelves, that is. I'm amazed at how quickly these past three months of the summer challenge have gone. If these next three months scoot by as quickly, we'll be looking smack-in-the-face of December. That's hard to believe as I sit now by the rolling surf and sea breeze during the last day of my last beach trip of the year. 

As I did for the summer challenge, I took a picture of my anticipated reading for Autumn Reading Challenge 2015 and have commented on each of the books below. Feel free to join the few of us binding together in this challenge with no rules. Just leave a comment and I'll get in touch with you. It's just interesting to see what other like-minded friends are reading, to engage in some back-and-forth about particular books, and to pick up ideas for future reading. I think it's also interesting to see how others have arrived at their book decisions. 

With that, below are my comments about the books I plan to read over the next three months.

The Awakening of Miss Prim (Fennolera). After Jennifer's comment ("It's an absolutely delicious book. Classical education, community, cocoa, and cookies. It's perfection. Go read it!") and a quick check at PaperBackSwap to see that I would have to wait longer than I wanted, I found a used copy. Anticipating this when we build our first woodstove fire.

An Ordinary Woman's Extraordinary Faith (St. John). This has been on my shelf for many years, and I've always intended to get to it, so this is the plan this fall. The first St. John book I read was Star of Light, and it was thrilling.

The Secret of Sarah Revere and Cast Two Shadows (Rinaldi). Two juvenile (young adult) historical fictions by one of my favorite authors. These two both take place during the American Revolution, one in the north, one in the south.

Olive Kitterage (Strout). I listened to an audio (The End of Your Life Book Club) which talked about this book a good bit. Then my sister told me she'd read it several years ago.

Crusade (Laird). Another one that I've been trying to find time to work in. I had gotten this for my classroom library, and one student fell in love with it, re-reading it several times. Time to put this one in my reading life.

Quench the Lamp and The Village (Taylor). I'm working my way through Taylor's books that I've accumulated before moving them on. She writes about life in County Cork, Ireland when she was growing up.

The Old Man and the Boy (Ruark). Set in the early '50s in North Carolina, this book is largely autobiographical and first published in Field and Stream magazine. I'm not sure how I came to it, but it seems Pat Conroy had something to do with it . . . . Maybe, maybe not.

Hershey (DeAntonio). Every time I visit my sister who lives quite close to Hershey, PA, and I see, sitting up on the hill overlooking Hershey Park, the huge Milton Hershey School, the world's largest and wealthiest private boarding school for needy children. I am reminded again to read this book.

And finally (it's about time!), Beach Music (Conroy). I've not read several of his larger tomes and hope to enjoy this one during this challenge.

This is quite an ambitious list for me, but I need to push myself a little and certainly have the time to do that. After our two week Canadian trip in September (which will probably only allow for me to read some of the juvenile historical fictions), I hope things will be quiet and allow indulgent time for reading.

Share your lists of want-to's and join the no-rules 2015 Autumn Reading Challenge. If you are on Facebook, we have a comment and discussion group you might be interested in. More info about that on request.

No comments: