Tuesday, October 06, 2015

Seasonal labors and colors

A mid-morning autumn walk on a warm deep blue-sky day begged for a camera tucked in my bag. And after taking 4000 pictures on our recent Canadian trip, one would think I'm overrun with pictures. I am; I'm still editing those 4000. But today was another day with sights in need of remembrance. Plus that camera and its resulting pictures were my stimulus for some personal "goal-tendering."

 


Last week, I raked and picked up about 100 pounds of fallen walnuts. I considered it exercise on a beautiful day, the first sunny one in almost a week and the last one for a week. It was exercise, though felt more like terrible punishment that lasted for several days. So, I'll reverse those effects in this next cleanup and spread it over several days instead. The rain and wind during the past week brought down most of the walnuts, but a few remain. Those on the ground now, though, are more than last week's cleanup. 

The black walnuts from this tree are of poor quality, so I feel no loss at discarding these to compost.


  


The walnut tree does create a mess in the fall, and even in the spring from its sap if someone parks a car under it. But the shape and shade of the tree, its branches and beautiful green leaves make it a tree to keep.


 

On down our driveway are a couple of persimmon trees. They sure stand like unruly and unkempt children! And their fruit usually doesn't appear visible until the wind blows off some of the leaves.










And then all of a sudden I'm surprised by the brilliant red berries of the dogwood which look like they promise an abundant spring bud-burst.
 

 The colors of autumn were particularly vivid today . . . . oranges, reds, purples, lavenders. . . . and the leaves have just begun to show signs of the change. With all the rain we got and the cool nights, this year's color change could be a good one.











One aim I've had since I left the classroom is to write more. I'm not an aspiring writer at all, but I do believe that writing helps one in many ways, some obvious and some subtle. I've fewer excuses now than I've ever had, and I need to begin. 



No comments: