Monday, June 20, 2016

The first day of summer

In my current station in life, I've rare need to know the date of the year, so today's "first day of summer" announcement was a surprise. And what better place to live the first day of summer but on a beautiful beach with full sun and calm tides. 

After my morning walk, I cooled down in my beach chair with an icy water and my current daily provender book, Wonder O' the Wind by W. Phillip Keller. I will have to take a picture of the front of the book because I can find it no where else, and since the book is Keller's autobiography, his picture - a man of kindly face, thoughtful mind, and gracious heart - is on the cover. Other editions have a picture of what looks like sea oats against the ocean. Nice picture, but that not what the book is about. I've read other Keller books and love his prose. This one is no different, and it's nice to read about the circumstances into which he was born and lived. His focus on and about the natural world and his walk in this natural world seemed to prompt my thinking in a direction my beach days often provide.

Always when I'm at the beach for a week or ten days, I find an unexplainable clarity of focus. Maybe that is because most of the daily duties of life are left behind for a period of time. Whatever it is, I am able to think through the upcoming months. I think through books I want to read, tasks I need and want to complete, goals I want to reach. This time gives me an opportunity to renew my vigor.

I love the beach. I love everything it brings to my senses. I love the sight of the rolling waves that have never ceased from the beginning of time. I love the sound of those waves crashing on the sand. I love the smell of salt water in the air. I love the feel of damp, cool sand on my feet and the warm sun on my skin. I've said before that I think I could be quite content to live right here on the shore with this as my landscape every minute. And I would hope that one day I will have the opportunity to live here. Not as a forever home, but for a month or so. For a long enough time to feel I belonged here and wasn't just visiting. 

For now, though, I'm just visiting. And on this first day of summer, I hope every day brings as much joy and appreciation of life as this one does.

No comments: