Friday, April 20, 2007

Fine Art Friday



The Slave Ship (1840)
John Mallard William Turner

Recently, my ears will perk up when something about the slave trade in England is mentioned. The recent movie, Amazing Grace, plus the audio-listening I have done from Grace Victorious: The Story of William Wilberforce has brought particular attention to events and people surrounding the abolition of slavery in England.

So, I looked up the actual painting when I came across this in The Intellectual Devotional (Kidder):

"In 1840, Turner painted what many consider his best work, The Slave Ship (or Slavers Throwing Overboard the Dead and Dying. Typhoon Coming.) The painting was based on an actual event reported in Thomas Clarkson's The History of the Abolition of the Slave Trade. A ship captain had cast sick and dying slaves into the ocean when he realized that he would be reimbursed only for slaves lost at sea, not those who died aboard his ship."

While I do not think that this type of painting is typical of Seasonal Soundings' gentle and kind Fine Art Friday, knowledge and exposure of history through art is valuable, and
another one of those harmonic convergences.

You can read more about this painting here.



3 comments:

Dana said...

Oh, my! The things we will do for money.

Dana in GA

Kathleen Hamilton said...

This doesn't have much to do with your painting (though I really like Turner), but I have to tell you that your blog is bad for my pocketbook! Over the past few days I have read nearly every post on your blog, and I feel like I know you! You are truly an inspiration to me, and I have to say I cried when I read the post about your Emily's homecoming (when you saw her at the McDonalds).

Anyway, all your book lists had me adding things like crazy. In fact, I just received Jayber Crow via UPS today, and The Intellectual Life is also on its way. Others are on my "to purchase" list. Oh, yes. I recently received The Word of God in English (I looked for it online, but only found excerpts), and, of course, the Gordon MacDonald book.

I already have a stack of books ready for my summer reading list, and I'll take a picture of it soonish. :-)

Seasonal Soundings said...

Oh, Kathleen, what nice comments! Thank you!

I hope the dent in your pocketbook doesn't keep you from coming back!
I just love talking about books and booklists.

Please tell me what you think of Jayber Crow when you get to him. He's the only Berry book I've read but I want to read more when I get to him on my TBR list. I've found some really interesting stuff about Berry that I'm hoping to blog about when I have time.

Maybe one day our paths will cross in real life. Wouldn't that be something! I have a mental list of those special people I've "met" via WTM and SS that I'd love to meet if I ever take a continent-wide tour. You're on the list too!