Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Wednesday Words


I found the missing vocabulary card laying on top of the dryer. In my haste and absentmindedness, I must have laid it down to move clothes from the washer to the dryer.

I have realized that I have made no notation as to where my new words came from. Some I remember, but most I do not. So, while I will still keep new words under the month I find them, I will also note where I found them. One way I'm doing this is to use an index card as a bookmarker which also serves a that book's new vocabulary.
fatuous – foolish, silly, inane

aseity
– to have being or existence within oneself


pejorative
– having negative connotations


desultory
– marked by the lack of definite plan or purpose; not connected with the main subject


sfumato
– in painting, the blending of one tone into another to create soft, hazy outlines; from the Italian for "to evaporate"

One of my ongoing struggles is to incorporate new words into my writing and speech. This week I will try diligently to use
fatuous and pejorative this week.

What are your new words this week?

No comments: