Friday, June 15, 2007

Fine Art Friday



"Friday Nights"
Deborah DeWitt Marchant

I have found a new favorite artist.
And every Friday, until I run out, will feature her art for Fine Art Friday.
Can you understand why I like this piece?
There are more, many more, like this.

Now, about this work...while I find the picture cozy and inviting, I could not lie in that position for any length of time. I would be stretching my legs out, then twisting them under me, then turning on my side. But I could start out this way. Especially if I was twenty years younger.

Don't you like the warmth of the light? And the candlelight.
Do you notice the inside warm light in the house next door? And the porch light that is on?

And the feminine tea cup, or that could be coffee, and the manly mug.
And the coffee table bookshelf.

And you can't beat the title, "Friday Nights."
Just perfect for a Fine Art Friday (night)!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Another treat on Friday in our household is listening to Science Friday with Ira Flatow on one of our public radio stations. To see where you can catch this fantastic two hour show, check here. Ira Flatow can make even the most seemingly boring and dull topics lively and interesting. We always learn something.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Already two weeks into the Summer Reading Challenge and I'm already veering from my chosen path, or list. As I languished longer in bed this morning, weary from a week of window-washing and flowerbed makeover, plus nonstop activities to clear my calendar for school planning, I finished the last bit of Country Days (Taylor) and the first forty-some pages of a book that has promised to captivate me,
Redeeming Love (Francine Rivers). The latter book is the more that is the rabbit-trail book, not on my chosen list.

How it came to be in my hands is a story I will save until I finish the book. Even though I am a Christian, and a reader, I don't usually read what is categorized as Christian fiction. But here I am with this unscheduled, 400+ page Christian fiction book. So far, the story is fairly interesting.
The first forty pages that I've read were only the Prologue. And I've been promised that the ending is something that will take me by surprise and that I will just not believe. I hope I am not disappointed.

Today I will be sewing the new paramedic patch on my oldest daughter's dress uniform and pressing my youngest son's dress uniform pants because tonight they will both be installed (again) as officers in our local rescue squad. The oldest is our squad's Second Lieutenant, their only paramedic, and now a state training educator; the youngest is the squad's secretary and chaplain and a few months away from being an EMT-Intermediate. The installation dinner and ceremony is tonight, and we are invited. There is a certain calm satisfaction that we have done some things right in raising our children as they serve in a voluntary capacity that takes time and often has little reward.

After that bit of sewing, I have got to trace a VBS sea scene from overhead transparency onto a white king-sized sheet. Then paint it next week. If it looks decent, I post a picture of it. After it is painted, that is.

Here's to Friday!


7 comments:

ellen b said...

Thanks for sharing the art work. Looks like a perfect Friday night to me...

Kathleen Hamilton said...

Oh, I love the picture. I can see myself reading in that position, as long as I had several pillows on which to lean!

I'm veering a bit from my reading challenge as well--but then, that's pretty normal!

Congratulations to your two wonderful children!

Carol in Oregon said...

I'm clicking on the print icon.

One of my favorite family traditions is "Reading Evenings". Where each one gets a book and we sit sprawled over various furniture in the living room and read silently...together.
They don't happen in the summer though. Too much outside work.

Happy Friday to you!

Lana G! said...

Delicious Art Work! OH how I want that print. Thanks for sharing!

Poiema said...

It's fun to be introduced to an new artist; at least new to me! I love the warmth that radiates from this one and I look forward to seeing the ones you will share with us on future Fridays.

re: Francine Rivers
I, too, usually stay away from "Christian" fiction. But someone asked me to read _And the Shofar Blew _ (also by F.R.)a couple of years ago,I must say it surpassed my expectations. Let us know what you think of the one you are currently reading.

DebD said...

I'm also one who doesn't read Christian Fiction. But my dd swears I'll love FR's book: The Mark of the Lion. We shall see.

We love Science Friday too - as well as many other NPR shows.

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I love that picture (of course). I'll be looking forward to seeing more by that artist.

I've strayed a bit from my challenge, too. However, I was asked to review a book and I brought home a couple from the library that looked very interesting.

Fortunately, most of my Summer Challenge are easy reads...because deep thinking and heat do not combine to make my brain work well. :)