Tuesday, June 12, 2007

At 1 p.m.,

...she caught my eye as I prepared to wash the window.





She was 40 feet from me in the weedy orchard,
and she was busily eating some tender fescue shoots.









So I grabbed my camera and headed upstairs to look out our bedroom window.
I didn't raise the screen at first for fear of scaring her away.









After a few pictures, I carefully raised the screen and took more clearer shots.
She almost looks like she sees me in this one, especially if you click to enlarge it.








After a bit, she ambled over to one of peach trees and flopped down in the shade.
If you look carefully, you can see the hint of her ears and her ever-watchful eye.








Then she sprang up, not from a scare,
but almost like a child who cannot decide
what to do and wanders from one thing to another.









Finally wandering further toward to woods and behind my husband's onion patch, she darts off toward, and then over, the creek and up into the deep dark woods.




She will be back.
I'm sure.

4 comments:

Ann said...

Oh, this is lovely. I'm a gardener, and I know we're supposed to hate deer because they munch our hard work -- but I always feel honored by the quiet, unafraid presence of a deer.

Also: would you please add me to your summer reading challenge, and direct me to the "rules," if you would? I need some accountability!

Laura - Walking the Long & Winding Road said...

Fantastic. Thank you for sharing with our family. Our 7 year old enjoyed the photos with mouth wide open... we have plenty of acreage, but have never seen a deer 'round these parts.

Seasonal Soundings said...

Ann,
I would be happy to add you to the Summer Reading Challenge! There are no rules, but you might want to decide on a few books that you want to read through August 31. If you have a blog, you can send me the link and I'll put it in the sidebar. If not, just post your intended list in the comments of the SRC post (which I will try to link here). And I'll add it into the main post with the other readers.

Glad to have you!
Janie

Dana said...

Seeing your deer pictures reminds me of the one I have from my Sat hike. She blends so well with the woods that I will have to enlarge and crop the photo, unlike yours where the green provides contrast.

Dana in GA