Monday, June 11, 2007

Ta da...

I am now contractually employed for the '07-'08 school year as a sixth grade history and English, study skills, and computer keyboarding teacher.

I anticipate the typical overwhelming first week or two learning new procedures and people, but I am so ready to get back to teaching regularly.

The school uses Abeka history and language arts materials through sixth grade, does novel studies as part of literature, and has given me a wide range of flexibility to "do my thing." They say they are not a "finish the book" school and would rather the students learn well and deep than wide and shallow.

I'm looking forward to mapping out long- and short-range goals and objectives in the next few weeks and will doubtlessly be writing about this, probably ad nauseam. They sent me home with a 30-inch stack of most of the books and materials.

Even though this school was not my first choice, it offers plenty of positives that the other didn't. I am confident that it is a good transition from home to classroom. And I'm equally confident that God's great and wise providence prevailed. Thank you all for your good thoughts, your prayers for wisdom, your always good advice, and your endearing friendship. I have an uncommon treasure of friends here!

More about all this later; right now I need to tie up some things on the desk and finish washing the 15 first story windows and screens that I'd told myself I had to do after the meeting. Plus, I've committed once again to doing the artwork for our church's VBS which involves 5 two-poster-board scenes and one large backdrop on a king-sized white sheet. Tracing it all out from overhead transparencies (not original with me, thank goodness!) will be the most time consuming and slow.

[Blair, thank you for your earlier comment about Carol Jago. I was in the library this morning when I read your book suggestions by her and ILL-ed them right then. Thanks so much!]

16 comments:

Michelle Matheny said...

Congratulations, Janie! God does indeed have a plan for us, even though it may not be our original thoughts. I'm certain you will make a big impact at that school and will continue to be a powerful Christian encouragement to the students there.

© 2003-2007 M-mv said...

Congratulations, Janie! Congratulations!

Kathleen Hamilton said...

Yay! I'm so happy for you. It sounds like a wonderful opportunity, and I can't wait to hear your stories.

Donna Boucher said...

Congratulations!
You will be a wonderful teacher. I know you will be a blessing to all of your students.

Jan P. said...

Congratulations, Janie! I think you will make a great teacher. I've copied many of your posts from TWTM's message board. You have been such a help to me.

Blessings,
Jan P.

Poiema said...

What wonderful news! I know you have a great deal of wisdom to share with those kids, and I pray it will be a very fruitful experience.

DebD said...

So happy for this great blessing in your life.

Patti said...

That's great, Janie. I was thinking only recently myself about the advantages of being able to do things your own way....one of the beauties of homeschooling, of course.

Carol in Oregon said...

Hip Hip Hooray!!

Could I move across the country and be your teacher's aid?

Carrie K. said...

Yay, Janie! I am very happy for you.

Miss Paula said...

Congratulations on your new teaching position. My son is trying to get one here in So Cal! Very hard!

Dana said...

So glad that this worked out for you! You are an amazing teacher.

Dana said...

Allow me to add my congratulations and say that I am looking forward to reading about your prep.

Blessings fm GA,
I am (another)Dana

desert mom said...

Congratulations, Janie! And congratulations to the school and all your prospective students. They are fortunate, indeed! Like Dana, I look forward to the ad naseum reports of planning, etc.

Seasonal Soundings said...

Seasonal Soundings said...

Wow! Thank you ALL for such kind words and wonderful support.

I know now when I stumble and need a lift what to do!

More thoughts on how I want to plan after the windows are finished and the flowerbed is weeded and updated. I've got a manicure appointment on Thursday, so I need to get my dirty work finished.

Again, big thankful hugs to all of you!

Janie

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

Congratulations!

That is wonderful news.

I can't wait to hear how God uses you there.