Thursday, December 14, 2006

Winter Reading Challenge

~~~For all you just now adding your lists, watch for a new post this week with all the readers!




Moby Dick (Melville)
Realms of Gold (Ryken)
Finding God in the Questions (Johnson)
The Quality School (Glasser)
The Quality School Teacher (Glasser)
Not a Chance (Sproul)
Rediscovering Catechism (Van Dyken)
Separation of Power (Flynn)
Paul (Wangerin)
The Tides of War (Pressfield)
A Short Day Dying (Hobbs)
Year of Wonders (Brooks)
Drums (Boyd)
Close Friends (Jenkins)
Monks & Mystics (Withrow)






Here we go!
Winter Reading Challenge
is underway and will continue through the end of February.

I spent time today organizing my unread books and categorizing them. I need to plan the books I read because if I don't, I could easily sink into fluff fiction. My categories are all the lines of biography, history, science, education, juvenile fiction, fiction, and Christian.

If you are so inclined or if you do better with a plan, take so moments to choose a few books to read over the next three months, allowing for books you receive for Christmas.

My plan is never firm; it is always evolving. But I claim that little adage "If you aim at nothing, you'll hit it every time."

Feel free to post the Winter Reading Challenge button on your blog and post your list here or a link to your blog. I get so many good ideas from others' reading lists.

Happy Reading!


15 comments:

Carrie K. said...

I read Year of Wonders last year and enjoyed it very much. I'll be putting up the image and link soon. I think I'm going to go for a certain number of books read from my shelves - books I already own, rather than a list of certain titles.

Sharon H. in IL said...

Good idea. My list is non-fiction. I plan on tackling "The Hungry Soul" by Leon Kass MD, "A Preface to Morals" by Walter Lippman, and "The Reformation: A History" by Diarmaid MacCulloch. I've been fitfully on-ing and off-ing on the first two for a while now; it's time to get serious.

Let's us drink to the success of our hopeless endeavor! -- toast of Russian dissidents

Sharon H. in IL

Circle of Quiet said...

Here is the list I have posted, Janie. Many thanks!

http://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=9499788&postID=116631499609477386&quickEdit=true

Happy weekend,
Diane

jannie_b said...

I've posted mine at http://berkman.typepad.com/paper_moon/2006/12/winter_reading_.html

SeasonalSoundings said...

Welcome aboard! It will be nice to get to know new friends!

Carrie, glad to have you back! All my books this time are from my shelves too.

Sharon, how ironic that you are reading Kass' book The Hungry Soul. I have that on my some-day list. I remember coming across it a while back and asking PariSarah about it. Then I heard about it again on an NPR (I believe) show last week! Please let me know how it is.

Janet, it will be a pleasure to get to know you through this challenge!

Diane, I like "intentional reading." Exactly. You are perfect with words! I've got a book especially for you and your speakers that I will blog about soon.

Brenda said...

Here is the URL to my post regarding the Winter Reading Challenge! (Otherwise, I have put my list on a sidebar of my blog.)

http://coffeeteabooksandme.blogspot.com/2006/12/winter-reading-challenge.html

Barb said...

Wanting to join in the fun this winter too but I don't have a list compiled yet. I'll post on my blog as soon as I decide. Thanks so much for doing this. I love reading everyone's lists.

LeanNot said...

I just found your blog, and I am going to post a list soon on my blog leannot.blogspot.com . Thanks for the encouragement!

mira said...

Thanks for doing this! I'm looking forward to seeing other people's lists. Mine is posted at

http://mdessy.blogspot.com/2006/12/winter-reading-challenge.html

Happy reading!

Mother Crone's Homeschool said...

I've got my list up, and am happy to join along!

http://mothercroneshomeschool.wordpress.com/2006/12/23/winter-reading-challenge/

I would love a tip on posting the button correctly...and help would be greatly appreciated!

wisteria said...

I'm in! http://twicebloomed.blogspot.com/2006/12/winter-reading-challenge.html

LoriM said...

My winter reading list includes:

A Whole New Mind Daniel Pink
Story Robert McKee
No Excuses Thernstrom & Thernstrom
Exploring Probability in School: Challenges for Teaching and Learning Graham Jones
A Heart Like His Beth Moore

and I'm sure I'll find a dozen others as I follow some rabbit trails in my reading. I have several "regulars" I reread quarterly and semi-annually, so I'll probably add others from that list as well.

Carrie K. said...

Okay, my list is posted. Here's the link:

http://carrie.homeschooljournal.net/2006/12/27/winter-reading-challenge/

LeanNot said...

Here is my link:

http://leannot.blogspot.com/2006/12/winter-reading-challenge.html

Leann said...

I have had some books going but am just getting around to posting my list. Here is the link...

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Academy252/259873/New+Year%2C++New+Reading+Challenges....html